Grizzly G0749 - 16" x 40" Heavy Duty Lathe
click to zoom
Built like a modern version of a classic American lathe, this 16" x 40" Gear-head Lathe has ridiculously thick castings and super heavy-duty construction throughout (just like those legendary machines of yesteryear), making this one of the most rigid and solid metal lathes we sell. With its 24 RPM low spindle speed, it is also one of the slowest lathes we sell, too! But that's not all—equipped with a 10 HP, 220V, 3-phase spindle motor and unbelievably massive tailstock, steady rest, and follow rest—this lathe is a reliable workhorse even in demanding machine shops that turn big and heavy workpieces. A universal gearbox allows cutting of inch and metric threads, as well as modular and diametral pitches. The spindle has a 3.15" bore, D1-8 nose, and MT #7 taper. The tailstock barrel has 4-3/4" of travel and an MT #5 taper. Other features and accessories include a complete coolant system, foot brake, worklight, 3-jaw scroll chuck, 4-jaw independent chuck, 15" faceplate, 4-way turret tool post, micrometer stop, and slide-out chip tray.
- Swing over bed: 16"
- Swing over gap: 21"
- Swing over cross slide: 9"
- Distance between centers: 40"
- Spindle nose: D1-8 camlock
- Spindle nose taper: MT #7
- Spindle bore: 3.15"
- Tailstock barrel taper: MT #5
- Tailstock barrel travel: 4-3/4"
- Cross slide travel: 11-1/2"
- Compound travel: 5"
- Max. tool bit size: 1"
- Motor: 10 HP, 220V, 3-phase, 30A
- Number of speeds: 15
- Speed range: 24-1600 RPM
- Range of threads (inches): 66 @ 1–56 TPI
- Range of threads (metric): 66 @ 0.5–28mm
- Diametral pitch range: 33 @ 8–56 DP
- Modular pitch range: 33 @ 0.5–3.5 MP
- Width of bed: 13"
- Approximate shipping weight: 5049 lbs.
- Apron-mounted ON/OFF/reverse spindle lever
- Coolant system
- Hardened and precision-ground cast iron bed
- Cast iron stand
- Foot brake
- Micrometer stop
- 4-Way turret tool post
- Universal gearbox allows cutting of inch, metric threads, and modular and diametral pitches
- Headstock gears run in an oil bath
- Pull-out chip tray
- Full-length splash guard
- Halogen worklight
- Jog button and emergency stop
- 10" 3-Jaw chuck with 2 sets of jaws
- 12-1/2" 4-Jaw chuck with reversible jaws
- 15" Faceplate
- MT #5 Dead center
- MT #7 to MT #5 sleeve
- Steady rest
- Follow rest
- 4-way turret tool post
- 2 change gears
- 8 cast iron leveling pads
- Oil gun
- Service tools