I have been threatening to replace my table saw for, oh, 20 years or so. I just couldn't pull the trigger (or credit card) for a full cabinet saw, and I found problems with each hybrid as it came out. The new Grizzly met most of what I have been wanting, and catching it on the Thanksgiving sale made it an easy choice! Like all new machinery it has a few issues, but I feel certain that Grizzly will iron them out with time.
When my saw arrived via UPS Freight, the driver unloaded it and wheeled it into the garage. I was concerned about the hole in one side of the box, so we opened it while he was there; good thing, because the end of the motor had rubbed forcefully against something between China and me. The motor case was pushed in and up so hard that there were impressions from the cooling fan blades in the steel motor end cap. The top edge of the cap was folded/creased like tissue. YOW! I sent it back, called Grizzly, and had a new saw within a few days.
Assembly went smoothly. The miter gauge slots were dead parallel to the blade. It was easy to adjust the fence and miter gauge to (respectively) parallel and square to the gauge slots. Adjusting the 90- and 45- degree stops on the blade tilt went well, though the 45 is a bear to reach. The blade guard/riving knife mount was perfect too. Extension wings were co-planar with the table, no shimming required. Fence rails went on easily.
I like the lock for the riving knife/blade guard. It is an easy reach, and it is easy to operate. So too with the arbor lock when it comes time to change the blade... it sits just exactly where you want it to as you go to perform that operation.
I also bought a Forrest WoodWorker II blade for my new tool. My first cut on this saw was a rip of some scrap 3/4" plywood. I engaged the blade, took the front edge of the scrap back to the riving knife, and stopped.... just let the blade run in the kerf for about 20 seconds. I then finished the cut. Not a speck of a smidgen of a trace of a burn mark, nor any sign of a tooth track where I had left the workpiece engaged with the running blade. Amazing. I want to try this with some scrap cherry next... you know, the wood that burns if you look at it wrong!
It was during the initial tilt to 45 degrees that I discovered a design issue. The blade is surrounded by a dust collection shroud. In the right-hand corner of the throat opening, nearest the operator, is a projection of the cast-iron top which holds a set screw for leveling the insert. In that same area, the dust collection shroud has a spring-loaded panel designed to keep the shroud around the blade even when it is tilted. On my saw, when the blade is set to 90 degrees, that little hinged panel is able to open up UNDER the lug holding the set screw. That is fine until you go to tilt... and the hinged panel remains hung up under the lug, and the dust shroud then prevents more than about 5 degrees of tilt.
The fix is easy... a) remember to pull the throat plate before tilting and push the little hinged door over as you crank the first 10 degrees, or b) epoxy a little block under the lug that prevents the hinged part from moving quite so far under the lug. I haven't gotten to "b" yet, but I will!
Like many other reviewers, I, too, have noted that the set screws and knurled brass lock nuts that adjust the fence vertically sit high enough that they would block use of the miter slot if the fence were to be in exactly the wrong spot. I have tried, and failed, to imagine myself using both the fence and the miter gauge, both on the right side of the blade, at the same time. I just can't see this being much of a problem. I followed other's suggestions, and tried to mount the fence rail as low as possible, but there really isn't much play when all the screws are in.
Blade guard: Nice that it has dust collection for the dust thrown off the top and front of the blade. Nice that it has separate side panels so you are protected on narrow rips and short cut-offs. Not so nice that the dust collection hangs/runs just where you want to look to check the position of your pencil mark vs. the blade. Not sure how you would fix that one...
Speaking of dust collection, the outlet on the side of the saw, under the right extension wing, claims to be 4". It isn't. More like 3 3/4". I discovered, quite by mistake, that a fitting designed to fit 4" dust hose on one side, and to slip inside 4" PVC pipe on the other, is just exactly right! The I.D. of the PVC side matches the O.D. of the saw fitting perfectly! Good snug fit. I am getting very good, though not perfect, dust collection, even with my 650 CFM dust collector. I expect it to improve when I finish hooking up my more potent DC.
The early lack of a zero clearance insert seems to be under remedy. If the online catalog is to be believed, the throat plate from the prior model saw will also fit this one. Unfortunately, Grizzly keeps saying 'backordered'. There is another online source for this plate, a Hardware store in the Highland (hint, hint), but I haven't ordered yet. Ordinarily, I would just make my own, but since this thing is 1/8" thick, I suspect that a custom made out of phenolic plastic is the way to go.
Bottom line: this saw is more than enough to keep a home handyhack and wood butcher like me happy happy happy... time to go build that bed frame I have been promising the spouse for, oh, 20 years now!