I purchased the plane because I couldn't find a used one on e-bay at a good price. Most used ones sold for much more than this new one. When I got it, I needed to do about 5 hours of work to get it working properly. First the lever cap needed to be flattened. Second the face of the frog assembly needed to be flattened. Out of the box, the blade would vibrate and clog with shavings. After flattening the frog assembly the plane worked well. Forth, the adjustment knob would bind. I got out the air grinder and removed some metal from the body casting to let the knob retract the blade more. Without this mod, the blade would not fully retract and you couldn't adjust for whisper thin shavings. Finally, I sharpened the blade. The blade isn't very thick, so I am thinking of replacing the blade. I have not had a chance to use the plane much. I am about to build a new bench and need the plane to flatten the top. But for the price, I was expecting the work and it wasn't too difficult. And the results are good.