The sensor installed easily to the left of the scale that is on the 1632 by moving the bracket that came on the 1632 to this location. I used the bottom attachment point of the dro sensor and floated the top of the sensor unfastened. My original thought was that I could add a bracket at the top later, but I found it is not necessary. I mounted the moving portion of the dro sensor to the bracket that was relocated on the 1632. The backside of the machine screws need to be filed flush and peened when the bracket is relocated in order to avoid scratching the paint on the back piece of sheet metal. It was an easy install taking about 45 minutes altogether. I needed to find some machine screws in my parts drawers in order to mount it. There were enough metric screws provided to mount the readout, but no screws provided to mount the sensor.
To set the origin to zero, I sanded a random piece of wood a couple of times, measured the final width. Then subtracted this from the random reading on the dro. Then I adjusted the machine to the resulting number of the calculation and then locked in this to zero on the dro by turning off and on the unit and holding the origin button for a few seconds.
It is much faster to set up the 1632 sander now and it is easier on the machine roller because it helps prevent setting up the machine too narrow for the wood. I would say that this is a must have for a wide belt sander.