I purchased the lathe in December '16, and while it was a chore to setup and connect to 220V, it was worth the effort. I don't have a lot of experience with lathes, but I did have a small bench top lathe for a few years. I setup the stand with the lathe on top to align the holes before drilling in the floor, but I see another reviewer used clamps to attach the stand to the floor, which I recommend. The lathe is pretty heavy and being able to attach the stand to the floor before setting the lathe on it eliminates having to lift it again. I installed it in a 2-car garage using an engine hoist. The lathe arrived promptly and. the mover helped push it into the garage. I had bought a HF engine hoist ($199) and a couple nylon lifting straps ($40) in preparation. It can be setup in a weekend, a single day even if you know exactly what you are doing, but it took me two weekends. One to do the lifting and physical install and another to do the electrical, break-in and testing. After inventorying everything, cleaning it and putting all of the accessories away, it took me some time to get the lifting belts situated correctly. An engine hoist is kind of low for this task and something as long and heavy as a lathe will tilt badly unless the belts are just right. It was easy to roll the hoist around with the lathe attached, but the long legs of the hoist make it quite awkward to position, especially around the lathe stand. If you are doing this by yourself using an engine hoist, expect it to take some time and be patient and careful. I thought about putting it on a heavy workbench, but I am glad I went through the trouble of installing the stand. It is so much more rigid and probably cuts much smoother because of it. The second weekend involved wiring 220v in my garage. I found that I had exactly one spot free for a 2 pole circuit breaker, but only if I repositioned a couple of existing breakers. That and a couple trips to Home Depot ate up some time. Also, put the plug on the Lathe BEFORE you install it. I left some room between the wall and the lathe, but not a lot, and what should have taken 10 minutes to do, took an hour. If I had thought about installing the plug first, then I would have probably put the lathe closer to the wall. But it is also nice to have some space for shelving at the height of the backlash. After the electrical, I did the tests and break-in. The speed and gear change levers are easy enough to move, but you have to get used to when they are in the right position and gears are meshed and when they are not. And don't move any of them when the motor is on. You can operate the apron controls when the motor is on, but not the headstock controls. You will grind the gears. The lathe is noisy in the beginning, but after the almost 2 hour breaking procedure, it quiets down a lot. I was worried at first because of the noise (I want to work late), but after the break in it is about as noisy as a washing machine. I am quite happy with that aspect. I have already made a few parts and finish is really nice. Better than I had expected. And unlike my previous cheap bench top lathe, I didn't have to strip it down and reassemble everything. It was in good shape right out of the crate, after cleaning off the grease they put on to keep it from rusting. The only issue I have had is that the LED work lamp quit working. I need to look at the wiring because it is the LED kind and I didn't expect to have any issues with that, like some have had with the halogen model. In any event, I am really pleased.