SB1007 South Bend Heavy 10™ Gearhead Lathe
No metal lathe has been as popular or as iconic as a Heavy 10.
The Heavy 10 10" X 30" is a modern variation of the classic South Bend lathe and is known worldwide for its reliability and exceptional accuracy.
Thick castings, heavy weight and quality construction throughout provide the necessary brawn for demanding production and manufacturing tasks, yet light enough to be quick and responsive to the operator.
Spindle speeds are controlled by convenient headstock levers, which allow the operator to quickly set the spindle speed within the available range of 55-2200 RPM.
A heavy-duty 3 HP Delta variable-frequency driver inverter ensures smooth, consistent torque at every speed from the 2 HP two-speed 3-phase motor without requiring a 3-phase power.
The gearbox features quick-change gear knobs and the feed rod includes a slip clutch that disables automatic carriage feed when it contacts the feed stop or in the event of a crash.
To further ensure a high degree of accuracy, this lathe is equipped with German spindle bearings. The spindle is a D1-4 camlock with an MT#5 taper and 1.358" bore. The tailstock has an MT#3 taper and 3 1/8" of quill travel.
The SB1007 is covered by a South Bend 2-year warranty covering parts and factory defects. Tooling and other lathe-related consumables are not covered by this warranty.
The manual was written by our U.S. based Technical Documentation Department and is packed with useful information.
The South Bend Customer Service and Technical Support Teams are U.S. based. Parts are available online and shipped from the South Bend parts warehouse in Springfield, MO.
Please note: SB1035 stand is not included.
- Motor: 2 HP, 240V, 3-phase, 5.5A (with single-phase inverter)
- Swing over bed: 10-3/4"
- Swing over cross slide: 6-5/8"
- Distance between centers: 30"
- Maximum weight between centers: 80 lbs.
- Width of bed: 7"
- Cross slide travel: 4-5/8"
- Compound slide travel: 4"
- Spindle bore: 1.358"
- Spindle nose: D1-4 camlock
- Spindle taper: MT#5
- Spindle speeds: (8), 55-2200 RPM
- Tailstock taper: MT#3
- Tailstock quill travel: 3.125"
- Inch threads: 4.5 to 128 TPI (37 pitches)
- Metric threads: 0.25 to 2mm (15 pitches)
- Longitudinal feeds: 0.0018 to 0.0128 IPR
- Cross feeds: 0.0009 to 0.0064 IPR
- Number of feed selections: 15
- Maximum tool bit size: 1/2"
- Overall dimensions: 51-1/2" x 8-3/8"
- Approximate shipping weight: 645 lbs.
- Quick-change gearbox cuts inch and metric pitches
- Outboard spindle spider for gunsmithing
- Carriage and cross-slide power feed
- Adjustable carriage stop
- Thread dial indicator
- 6-1/2" 3-Jaw scroll chuck w/ D1-4 plate