G0709 14" x 40" Gunsmithing Gearhead Lathe
An accurate and powerful lathe.
What makes the G0709 14" x 40" Gunsmithing Gearhead Lathe a "gunsmithing" lathe is that it comes with features typically not found on standard lathes, such as the high-precision NSK bearings, extra-large 1-9/16" spindle bore and a "spider" mount system.
The spider mount system has four brass-tipped screws that stabilize long shafting and rifle barrels through the outboard end of the spindle.
Supplied with a 2 HP motor, the 8-speed gearhead of the G0709 produces spindle speeds from 70-2000 RPM.
The tailstock lock system features a drive hub, which allows you to use a 1/2” torque wrench to clamp the tailstock in place at a pre-determined torque setting. This ensures consistent draw-down alignment every time, even with multiple lathe operators using the machine.
The G0709 features a foot brake that also acts as a safety device and can bring the machine to an instant stop.
The G0709 also comes with a D1-5 spindle, a 200 series quick change tool post, flood coolant system, LED work light, and a pull-out chip tray.
Like all Grizzly gunsmithing lathes, the G0709 comes with a 1-year warranty covering parts and assuring the unit is free from factory defects. (Consumables are not covered by the warranty.)
The G0709 manual was written by our U.S. based Documentation Department and is packed with useful information. The complete and easy to read manual makes it easier to assemble and maintain your lathe.
The Grizzly Technical Support team is U.S. based. Parts and accessories for the lathe may be available online and shipped from the Grizzly parts warehouse in Springfield, MO.
- Motor: 2 HP, 220V, single-phase, 10A
- Swing over bed: 14"
- Distance between centers: 40"
- Swing over saddle: 13-13/16"
- Swing over cross slide: 8-13/16"
- Spindle bore: 1.57" (40mm)
- Spindle nose taper: MT#5
- Spindle nose: D1-5 Camlock
- Spindle speeds: 8, 70-2000 RPM
- Carriage travel: 36"
- Cross slide travel: 6-11/16"
- Tailstock barrel taper: MT#3
- Tailstock barrel travel: 3-15/16"
- Overall dimensions: 71-1/2" L x 26-3/16" W x 52" H
- Approximate shipping weight: 1550 lbs.
- Easy-to-use lever controls
- Hardened and ground cast-iron bed
- Cuts 4-112 Standard TPI and 0.1-7 Metric
- Cuts LH threads
- On/off reverse switch on carriage
- Socket for tailstock lock
- Cast aluminum gear cover
- 6" 3-Jaw chuck with reversible jaws
- 8" 4-Jaw chuck with independent jaws
- 11" face plate
- Steady rest/follow rest
- Full length splash guard
- Quick change tool post with 2 tool holders
- (2) MT#3 dead centers (1 carbide tipped)
- (1) MT#3 live center
- (1) MT#5 - MT#3 sleeve
- Pull out chip pan
- 1/2" drill chuck w/ MT#3 arbor